Saturday 1 May 2010

Stuck between 'push' and 'pull'

My bathroom must be surreal. Designed so that everything constantly astonishes me (and any guests).

Built of extremely precious things that just work - beautifully. It’s built of glass and polished stone, blacks, whites and steel with hidden lights. You know. Oh and apocalyptic horsemen.

The entire thing is jutting out from the rest of my apartment, hanging over the Mediterranean.

It’s been hollowed out from the red rocks of a sheer cliff face, typical of that region. 200 feet above a gleaming Riva bobbing in the secluded bay close by Miramar in the South of France.

So that I can achieve this some things need to happen and fast.

We all need to turn stuff off! Please.

Being free to do whatever you want is just not practical unless you are very lucky. Or stinking rich. I get that.

Individuality is increasingly how you express yourself in the context of your life. It’s not about trappings or fancy metalwork really. I'm finding that my individuality gets compromised too much these days by dopey systems and stuff that we don’t need any more. Individuality as a realistic option maybe is getting more interesting more quickly as the acceleration and pace of all this gets understood.

In a few years my sincere hope is for my version of individuality to be more easy - less compromised. I want to be able to ‘pull’ what I want and definitely not get stuff ‘pushed’ at me. At the moment I’m stuck between what’s pushed (someone else's idea or prescription for me – just because they can) and the stuff (that I can increasingly get) that I choose to get. The stuff I can pull.

I want what I want, and no I don't want it at the expense of everyone else. At the moment I don't have both.

The most tedious thing about living right now is that it's too often done to someone else's rules, in their idea of what should be. It’s been about these systems having control over me because that suited the industrial age and all their stuck processes and predictability. Lazy. Lazy. Thoughtless. On the downside we get other peoples ideas of convention, political correctness on steroids and corruption.  All of it pushed right down our throats. Who are these people? We have to find them, destroy their stuck/push mindsets with hallucinatory drugs, pitch forks and charm - and try to hang on to humanity. Pull the plug.

We don't need a lot of them anymore anyway.

With the advent of new stuff, information, HD-3D-TV channels, eco-showers, nano-bots, iPAD’s and what not we still seem to have less than the intended freedom. Why? Because our lives are taken up with dealing with the old stuff too.  All the stuff that gets pushed - because it can and we do. We are not fully benefiting as a society because of all the clutter of stuff we didn’t stop. STOP!

(Yes I know we could choose less new stuff. Keep up.)

What’s troubling about now is that we are deeply stuck in the middle. We suffer the noise. We have lost trace of why all the layers of bureaucracy – set amid systemic stupidity. We are in that nether world where we've kept the rest of the stuff (that we had before the new stuff) running just because we are scared to tell the people running the old stuff that we don't need them anymore.

Posted via email from Just Thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment