Saturday 30 July 2011

Drawn To Be Wild. Part ONE

Blog

Illustrating. My Point.

"It was nightfall. I had 300k's still to go. Stretched over the blazing hot fuel tank of time whilst grabbing the handlebar of thought by the scruff of its neck. I'm sucking oxygen through my eyes to complete the picture. The storm clouds roll along over to my right keeping me in a petulant company. I know i'm flirting with a certain death if I get caught sleeping on this highway of creativity. I could now see the enemy on the hill ahead."

Nope that's not going to work. 

I like some of the images it conjurs and you are definitely still reading. It needs another picture though right?

Whether for business or pleasure most people scratch out a scribble or two to make a point. Usually it's quite an important point. A point so important that it could only be described by being drawn. Communicating what we think or want by clever words is capable of much applause. Verbal dexterity impresses me enormously but it's usually the visual that steals the show.

Drawing then is a serious responsibility.

It means making a mark. That's a choice. That carries serious risk. There are side effects - a health risk. But most of all it is a privilege - one of the most decisive acts in business. To 'draw a line' is to declare a decision. To bound a direction for a business by saying what's in and what's out of scope - it's a big step.

The skill of the person drawing becomes far more about thinking, judgement and expertise than art, flair or craft. To get both ends of that to work together though - is a real bonus because that adds to the overall idea. It is the real value of the whole calculation at a critical point in time.

I'm mad on Andrzej Klimowski at present. He is Professor of Illustration at the Royal College of Art. He's a dude. He's written much of what I think so I'm paraphrasing his stuff and then dancing with his rhythm. To jazz with the points.

AK - "Every work is a new beginning. It is a magical moment when a germ of an idea is formed. Often it is not a 'grand idea' - it can start with an anecdote, a small incident or feeling. A work can sometimes start without an idea, it can emerge when running through random images or words and making connections between them. Patterns emerge - the artist or designer gives the patterns form, creates structures that invite the spectator or reader to interpret them and give them meaning.

JC - I like to draw deliberate things. Things that evoke a reaction. I want a response. Agreement or derision - I can be happy with either. At least it makes people think. A great drawing is not about recreating a photograph. While that requires skill it can be very one dimensional and superficial. You will be depressed by the reaction it gets. Stretching peoples imagination and busting paradigms for a living is amazing.

The simple act of pen to paper is truly a mighty thing.

Posted via email from Just Thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment