Saturday 30 July 2011

Drawn To Be Wild. Part TWO

2f284aa2-ceb0-4fa8-b31a-15a3ee

Where do your ideas come from Andrzej?

AK - "Well I was walking down Queens Gate in Kensington when I noticed an unusually tall and slender young woman walking a few yards ahead of me. Her sprightly bobbing ponytails could be mistaken for antennae and I could imagine translucent wings unfolding from her rucksack. I quickened my step but before I could draw level to her, she turned and climbed a few steps entering a building. There was a sign on the door. It read: 'The London Institute of Entymology.' Sometimes life comes up with a ready made scenario; the imagination fills in the rest.'"

JC - Always looking around - and often feeling really clumsy by not seeing - I hate to admit to myself that I just missed the thing. I have always loved photography but know I miss the best shots by a few seconds. I don't see the shot until I have re-calculated a split second late - having just seen the shot when it has gone. Drawing can be like that. A big mark suggests a yet better mark but you would not have known it before.

AK - "Illustration lies somewhere between graphic design and painting. Its context is graphic design. An illustrators work will find its way onto a newspapers page, into a magazine, a book, a poster, on a webpage or a television screen. It will accompany text, illuminate it, comment on it, punctuate or counterpoint it. Its function can be reflective, provocative or decorative. It enlivens visual communication."

JC - I can't read long web pages. I just can't. I need the joy of a graphic to spice it up. To add piquancy to the mood or the idea. Maybe it's a Twitter generation thing (apparently everything is…) but most texts are so turgid and repeating (and repeating) that it's given birth to the need for images again. Everywhere. PowerPoint, Newspapers. Video. Anything but long texts without pictures. And now Infographics. And now I'm beginning to seriously loathe them too! (Well, bad ones)

AK - "What Illustration shares with painting is the desire for self-expression. It expands the imagination. Illustration is a pictorial lexicon, a new grammar. It has its own formal values, its own language, its own voice."

JC - So many people I meet say they think in pictures. They do but why do so many people feel they can't draw. This often means that they can't speak in pictures so conversations seem to lack the element of story. In fact people just need to be encouraged to draw more and that way they will construct better stories. Dinner Parties would start to be enjoyable. (Well maybe)

AK - "Learning from Tomaszewski - he looked to aphorisms for his subject matter. Imagine this - depict the idea of "In unity there is strength", or the idea of a "Big Nothing" or a "Small Nothing" in a poster form."

JC - Wow! My kinda teacher! Just off to draw a piece of mind.

Posted via email from Just Thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment